Friday, October 31, 2008

Tin Man Friday??

Eme and I prepared for our delectably free lunch by bringing tin foil to work this morning. Tin foil you ask? Yes. You read correctly...tin foil. See, Eme and I have heard a rumor that Chipotle (one of our favorite eateries) offers free burritos on October 31 to those who dress up like a burrito. Hence, the tin foil! (If you have not been to this fine eating establishment, you MUST give it a try!)

So Eme roped in a couple of people we work with and drove to Chipotle for our free lunch. In the car we started to "dress like a burrito" by wrapping ourselves in tin foil. We were excited! We were nervous! We were...ready for our free lunch! We joyfully hopped into line that was extending out the door (like I said, the place is awesome!), but noticed no one else was dressed like a burrito. Strangely enough, people were dressed in strange suits and business attire...weird. But then a couple girls with burrito tin foil hats got into line behind us. We turned around and our burrito group had a moment of camaraderie with the girls behind us. After our "moment" we turned back around and realized we might be a little over dressed for the occasion. Eme was dressed like a futuristic Super Woman with tin foil around her forearms; co-worker #1 took the burrito dress alike to heart and wrapped tin foil around her torso and arms; co-worker #2 looked like a Virgin Mary trying to warm up after she fell into a freezing Dead Sea as her tin foil was wrapped around her head and upper body (you know those crinkly foil blankets that conserve heat?); And I discreetly folded tin foil around my wrist for a fashionable burrito double take (I couldn't put my reputation as a sane person on the line...even though it is Halloween).

So, there we were, standing in line discussing how there is a shiny side and a matte side to tin foil....

And then we saw the sign posted right in front of the burrito/taco shell warming press unit thingy. Those of you who have been to Chipotle before know what I'm talking about. They have 2 warming presses there but never use both of them. Anyway, we saw the sign that read...

"Free burrito, burrito bowl, or taco today, October 31, 2008 from 6:00 pm to closing"

If you noticed we dressed up like burritos for lunch and the sign read "from 6:00 to closing" realized what we realized as our hearts sank and our spirits tanked. I reluctantly stepped up in line and said with a downtrodden voice, "burrito...no beans...carnitas...chili corn...yes (to cheese and sour cream)...chips and guac...a small drink...these are together" pointing to Eme's burrito with mine. And then as a last ditch effort I said, so we dressed up like burritos! Is today free burrito day?!??! With a chilling, curt, and almost heartless tone the cashier said, "from 6:00 pm to closing! Come back and you can get a free one."

Ugh. We tried so hard and came up short. I would go back for a free burrito tonight but I don't know if I can do Chipotle 2 times in one day. We'll see...I am always up for a free meal!

BTW - In case you have an annoying urge to pronounce Chipotle with the "L" before the "T" (Chi-pol-tay)...DON'T! It is pronounced "Chi-pote-lay"!

7 comments:

  1. What, no photo's of the burrito impersonaters? Oh and thanks for the clarification of the pronounciation. I could never understand how people can see "chipotle" and say "chipolte". I'm glad I'm not alone in my pet peeve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even paying is better than no access to the most wonderful of fast food. I miss my Chipotle! When we were in LA I drove 20 min just to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I live 10 minutes from the original Chipotle but I still don't really care for it. I know - insane, right??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insane? No. That's just downright wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad! That must be a new rule, because I have definitely had a before-6 free Halloween burrito in the past. That was back when I was teaching and was hungry on my way home from school. There was no foil in my car, but I did have multi-colored sentence strips and other teacher things. I wrote each burrito bowl ingredient on a separate sentence strip, taped them together with something from my first aid kit, and used a binder clip to attach them to my necklace. Voila! Free burrito!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I know you love Chipotle...but that was an incredible stroke of genius to enjoy a free burrito!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the next Bonkoski reunion needs to be at Chipotle since Jodi and I are big fans also.

    We also did not get to partake in the free burrito day since it started after 6:00. When did they change the rules??

    ReplyDelete