Monday, April 4, 2011

With Love and Tears

This past week has been filled with love, memories, laughter, and tears. Last Tuesday, we got word that my grandpa had passed away.

It was just the week prior that my mom and I had the opportunity to go down to see him in the nursing home, what would be our last visit together. Before we left him that final visit I took his hand and said, "Bye Papa. We love you very much. We'll see you soon, ok." A peaceful look took his face, and I could just feel he heard me. He wasn't able to stand and give hugs like I know he would have wanted, but I know that I will see him soon, and that bear hug is waiting for me.

Then Thursday, my sisters and I ran around town finishing our errands so we could make the 7 hour trip that evening down to Nebraska for the visitation and funeral. Thankfully we made good time, even with three little ones in car, and arrived at our hotel just after midnight. I was glad to have all morning Friday and afternoon before the visitation to spend with my mom (and not in the car), who had arrived Wednesday, and other family. Michelle and I were even able to prepare and arrange the funeral flowers at the church that morning and drop them off at the funeral home. They were beautiful!

Saturday at the grave site, he was honored with a military burial for his service during WWII. Knowing my grandpa's passion and pride for his country, the flag ceremony was about as powerful as it can be. There was no way I could hold back tears any longer. I was standing right behind my mom and her sisters while the officers folded the flag and presented it to my Aunt Connie assuring her "On behalf of a grateful nation, we present this flag as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service to our country."


Besides his service to our country, his legacy is also wrapped up in his large family. With having seven children came numerous grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Even though it's hard to gather under sad circumstances, I am so thankful for my extended family and that so many could make the trip. I love seeing everyone, and sharing the memories that made him so special to all of us.
 

Brianna was such a trooper the entire weekend. As we all hung out at the church after the service, she was walking all over the place, following cousins, and posing for photos. I asked her if she would give me a kiss, and here's what I got!


We shall miss him, but look forward to our reunion. Papa we will see you soon!

P.S. Thanks to my cousin, Aaron, for taking the photos at the grave site and for capturing the "Kodak kiss moment" with mommy and B!


2 comments:

  1. Eme, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eme, Thank you for sharing this beautiful post. I am so glad that your Mom and you had this time with him.

    ReplyDelete