
We finally arrived! After our bellies were full from a grandtabulous (yes I made that word up... but I like to do those kind of things) meal at our favorite eating establishment on the north shore north of tofte, we feared we had wasted too much time skipping stones on calm lake superior. Our ride up the gunflint was filled with anticipation and yet a sense of uneasiness was heavy in the truck as we wound our way deep into the wilderness. Each curve we would go around brought our fears one inch closer to reality as the sun was setting fast. Would we miss it? Would we drive all this way for nothing? Would we be wasting our time? Nonetheless, we continued northward, up the gunflint (my favorite road this side of the Mississippi in our great United States of America). Yes the sights were filled with grandeur- the deeper we drove into the wilderness the more it felt like home. Each curve in the road brought on a new sense of freshness in our blood. Both of us realized it had been too long since we had been "home" to this wonderful wilderness along the north shore in Minnesota. But I digress... We were frantically driving to get to a new destination- honeymoon bluff! I had wanted to hike the bluff for several years but it just has never worked out in my schedule to do so when I have been on one of my "home" visits to the gunflint. Finally, with great anticipation, we saw the sign for the road. With the sun seeming to set faster than anticipated, we nervously, yet anxiously turned down the road towards honeymoon bluff. The road seemed to wind around endlessly with each turn growing darker and darker. Both of us were quietly nervous that we might miss the whole purpose for going up on the hike- to watch the sun set. Finally coming around the last corner, we spied the parking lot. As I turned in I realized parking was going to be at a premium. Deciding there was no time to loose, and realizing everyone was there for the same reason we were, I decided to just park right next to the trailhead and block someone in. Afterall, we had to get to the top to see the sun set- which we feared had already been in progression for quite some time. After quickly hopping out of the truck and grabbing a pullover to help ward off the pesky mosquitoes I started bounding upward on the trek to see the sign... 1/2 mile! "1/2 mile! We don't have time for this" I shouted in despair. After not receiving any response, I turned around to find Jonathan... gone! Where did he go? We have to get up there! Finally, I spied him rambling out of from in front of the truck zipping his shorts up. "What are you doing?" I shouted! "We have to get up there! And what if someone would have come? You were right out in the open!" Nonetheless, we finally started our ascent which was titled "moderately difficult" on the map. Fear once again set in that we would miss the all-to-important reason we came to this special hideout... to watch the sunset. So I started bounding up the stairs with a renewed invigoration only to come to a slow moving group blocking the whole trail. As they slowly moved off to the side to let me by I looked back and to my despair could not see Jonathan anywhere! Where did he go? I thought to myself... we don't have time for this! I impatiently told the other group they could continue meandering as I had to wait for the other half of my party. Well, what seemed like minutes later, Jonathan finally appeared around the corner, huffing and puffing his way up the stairs asking "why are you in such a rush?" "We have to get to the top!" I cried out in despair... "let's go!" After reaching a fork in the trail, the slow group went off to the left because it was "easier"they said so I reasoned to the right would be the fastest option. Continuing to bound up the trail I came to what seemed like heaven- an overlook to end all overlooks for such a short hike! As I once again waited impatiently for my brother to come meandering up the trail I continued hiking in awe of what I was seeing. A spectacular view of Hungry Jack Lake with the sun... still quite high in the sky actually.
Well, at least we made it, I thought- but Jonathan had a few other thoughts like "why did we have to rush up here so fast?" Nonetheless, we made it and it was time to explore. After seeing one of my school parents and one of my students (go figure!) we wound our way down to the other side of the cliff. Jonathan bound over the safety railing and enticed me to do the same. And we sprawled out on our stomachs overlooking this beautiful landscape on the very edge of a steep cliff! We sat there for what seemed like hours- soaking in all the beauty, watching the little fishing boats below that looked like ants moving around, and watching the sun go behind some clouds before preparing itself for its final descent into the earth for the night. It was an amazing time- just Jonathan and me... together... alone... on the most beautiful road this side of heaven... watching the sunset... together! What a dream come true! Well, the sun set, and the time came... we had to begin our descent down the mountain. After a quick first half descent we ran into a slow moving group. One of them looked back with a big grin on her face and said to Jonathan and me, "You two looked so cute up there together overlooking the edge of the cliff and watching the sunset!" What? So cute? Jonathan and I looked at each other with a look of dismay... what should I say? How should I respond? For what seemed like a very long awkward silence, I finally blurted out "Yeah just so our wives don't find out... they would have freaked out!" Her response was "Yeah- I was worried for them" and the mood was once again a little less tense. Finally, we rounded the last corner, got in the truck, and had to carefully maneuver around the many vehicles while people looked on, pointed, and laughed at the big truck awkwardly and desperately trying to get back out of the parking lot full of cars. As we finally pulled away, Jonathan and I turned to each other and grinned, for we knew we had just shared our best honemoon together.
Well, at least we made it, I thought- but Jonathan had a few other thoughts like "why did we have to rush up here so fast?" Nonetheless, we made it and it was time to explore. After seeing one of my school parents and one of my students (go figure!) we wound our way down to the other side of the cliff. Jonathan bound over the safety railing and enticed me to do the same. And we sprawled out on our stomachs overlooking this beautiful landscape on the very edge of a steep cliff! We sat there for what seemed like hours- soaking in all the beauty, watching the little fishing boats below that looked like ants moving around, and watching the sun go behind some clouds before preparing itself for its final descent into the earth for the night. It was an amazing time- just Jonathan and me... together... alone... on the most beautiful road this side of heaven... watching the sunset... together! What a dream come true! Well, the sun set, and the time came... we had to begin our descent down the mountain. After a quick first half descent we ran into a slow moving group. One of them looked back with a big grin on her face and said to Jonathan and me, "You two looked so cute up there together overlooking the edge of the cliff and watching the sunset!" What? So cute? Jonathan and I looked at each other with a look of dismay... what should I say? How should I respond? For what seemed like a very long awkward silence, I finally blurted out "Yeah just so our wives don't find out... they would have freaked out!" Her response was "Yeah- I was worried for them" and the mood was once again a little less tense. Finally, we rounded the last corner, got in the truck, and had to carefully maneuver around the many vehicles while people looked on, pointed, and laughed at the big truck awkwardly and desperately trying to get back out of the parking lot full of cars. As we finally pulled away, Jonathan and I turned to each other and grinned, for we knew we had just shared our best honemoon together.
As I was reading this I kept laughing so much Dave finally asked what on earth I was doing. You guys are hilarious!
ReplyDelete