Monday, June 1, 2009

Suggestions Welcome

I have never been so frightened by any bird, in fact I normally really like birds. However, we have this robin nesting underneath our deck, right by the top of the stairs. Since all of you know we have a growing puppy, trips outside are every couple of hours. Well... this bird is VERY protective and has taken to dive bombing us EVERY time we take Eko outside. Way to go robin for protecting your eggs, but do you realize this is our deck and not a tree branch!!!

Tonight, for me at least, Jon already has had a close encounter, was the closet she has come yet. Seriously, within 2 feet. She dive bombs on the way down the stairs and then has you try and enter the house again. This time I was at the patio door, rushing Eko inside, when I knew she was headed straight for me (I can see her little birds eyes glaring, it's nerve recking). Scariest thing was that I reacted with a yelp and started to close the sliding door, not realizing my poor puppy was only halfway inside. (no harm done, he made it, but it was close)

We started keeping a tennis racket on the table next to the door for added protection. Until her eggs hatch, I'm afraid we may need to find an alternative to the back sliding door. What stinks, is when training a dog, consistency is king, and switching it up now may be even worse. Although... my death scream might start to scare the neighbors. This feels like a lose-lose situation.

2 comments:

  1. You could carry a scarecrow with you each time you go out. They say those scare away birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an owl we can loan you. If that does not scare the livin' day lights out of the bird, it would add an extra scream from you, just by seeing this scarey owl sitting outside your glass door!
    :)
    Good luck. Hope you never have to use the racket!

    ReplyDelete