Friday, October 12, 2012

The Duck Race then Birthday Party

July 14: This was it, the big day after the big day arrived - Carl's Birthday Party! I had been planning and planning and planning this event (you might remember the invite) and I was glad the day finally arrived. There was a little sleep depravation that was going on that week leading up to the race, but I wouldn't change it for the world.  I was excited first and foremost to celebrate with family and friends Carl's 1st birthday, secondly, for our first ever Rubber Duck Race down the creek in our backyard. Personally, I think it went rather smoothly. My volunteers did an exceptional job and the birthday boy even woke up from nap in time to catch a glimpse at the races.


I believe my final tally was just over 50 people, a little more than half of them being kids. It turned out to be a gorgeous morning, perfect for having some fun, food, and fellowship. I'd like to think I started a new family tradition and maybe next year it will be even bigger...

Even made some shirts for the occasion.

We dropped the ducks in at the start of the race with two buckets and let the current do the rest. As a fun side note - our nephew, Justin, just a few days prior had given Carl a small gift he brought back with him from a trip he had just taken. Turns out it was perfect for race day, it was a little duck caller! Carl let me borrow it to signal the start of each race.

Not all ducks stayed up-right, but that didn't stop them from making the finish line! 

There was quite the competition brewing in the adult category. There were enough kids around to keep everyone civil ; )   

Our judges at the finishing line hard at work, trying hard to save every duck from passing our net. We did have one duck slip through the very first race but it was quickly recovered. The duck belonged to a little girl, who her mom just asked me that morning about whether or not they would get their ducks back after the race - the girl was very concerned she would lose her duck. I assured them we would do everything in our power to save the ducks, we even put up a net to make it a little easier. When we realized it was this little girl's duck, I got nervous and was hoping it wouldn't slip away. She was so worried! Thankfully, we managed to bring it back safely. Not a true event without a little drama!

Oh yes, we had medals and prizes! I may have gone over the top on that one, but it was sure fun to see all the smiles that day. At the very end, there was a call for a champions run to see who really was the fastest duck. Turns out this little angle won every race!



A big thank you to my sister for helping take photos, capturing the ducky moments! More on the Birthday Party to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment