Thursday, September 18, 2008

Got Me Thinking

Preparing to buy a house has certainly taken me down some unexpected twist and turns in order to get everything together. Yesterday I was looking for my past 10 years of residences to compile to have for our closing, I'm not precisely sure why, but I thought, "yeah, I can find those." I started searching online for information since I thought you can find just about everything online and we don't have any of our documents that I would have used to find the information (it's all in MN).

2 things you might be wondering:
1) how does she not know everywhere she has lived in the past 10 years.
& 2) Why would you want that information on the web to find?

The answer to number one is that I was under the impression we had to have exact street addresses and there was one residence I simply did not remember. And for question 2, you don't, but I figured I would try anyway.

After about an hour (yes way too long I know), I could not get one single hit on either my maiden or married name. CRAZY! I do not exist on the web. Now please, if you find something, you may have a different technique to search or you're a crazy computer wiz and can hack anything, but me... nothing. I then started searching everyone else I knew. Sure enough, they all had something. By that time, I was baffled by this idea that I successfully evaded being placed anywhere on the Internet. While I was confused and almost upset about it, Jon simply reminded me that I should feel thankful. Thankful that my name and information isn't scattered out there waiting to be found. Thankful that people can't find my past addresses by a click of a button. And that I must have done something right.

So I just have to ask - what pops up when you google your name?

No comments:

Post a Comment