Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Carving those Great Pumpkins

Four pumpkins, one for each member of the family, sat out front until we found the time to carve them. In fact, one still stands untouched - Carl didn't say how he wanted his carved. But while Carl napped, Brianna, Jon and I took on our respective pumpkins with predetermined carving designs. I'm not a huge fan of the slime inside pumpkins but I tried really hard not to make any sounds or gestures to suggest my discomfort as little ears have a way of hearing then mimicking (I think Jon had to remind me a couple times). Brianna did really well, except that she tried to pick up the seeds one at a time out of the pumpkin and since they were so slimy, they kept slipping out of her hand and onto the deck. She just couldn't get enough of those pumpkins!






After the sun went down we all went outside to light them and enjoy the flickering designs. Again, Brianna was fascinated by them. A week or so ago now, when I went to throw them away, she had a fit that I was taking and throwing them away. I had just taken all the candles out and set them aside when I saw her going over, getting the candles, taking the lids back off and putting them back inside - she can be so particular sometimes. We still have the one pumpkin left out on the back deck. I think it's just a matter of time before we'll need to get the carving tools back out and do it all again!



No comments:

Post a Comment