After running across my mom's krumkaka makers, I thought it would be fun to make some this year. It was my first ever attempt ever and we even made them gluten free! Little did I know that the first batch, made with my mom, I completely forgot to add the eggs. I checked and rechecked the recipe as we mixed it but... I still forgot. Turns out, they still tasted good anyway!
So, after one semi-failed/mostly-successful first attempt, I thought I'd make a little more for Brianna's Birthday (krum)cake. While she napped, I whipped up another batch. It's not a quick process, but I was in the krumkaka creating mood. (Note: krumkaka makers don't work well on electric stove-tops.) It was a pretty peaceful process until I realized oil was burning under the maker on the electric coils and the entire upstairs was very smoky. It was time to turn on the fan... not so peaceful anymore.
Anyway, so after krumkaka making and Brianna's nap it was time to open gifts! She was well versed in the ripping paper aspect and was so excited to see the gifts. I asked her to sit down, and she sat right down- no hesitation. When something so great is at hand, she has wonderful listening ears.
One of the gifts Brianna received for her birthday was a little farm animal bowling set. She thought is was pretty cool and started knocking them down instantly. Please don't ask what Carl is wearing. Have I mentioned we were all sick. This outfit, must have looked good at the time, otherwise it was the only thing clean...
THEN... it was Krumkaka time! We even lit a candle and she knew how to blow it out. Check out the enjoyment!
I think Krumkake was made to be made Gluten free. In Hawaii where it is soo humid at Christmas time they cook up WAY better than the flour ones. Invest in an electric one you won't be disapointed though, Electric stoves are just not as easy with the old school type makers.
ReplyDelete