Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What One Has, Can Be Lost

Today I was reminded that what one has, can be lost just as quick - especially when in the context of a 2.5 year old boy.


My sister knit this fabulous winter hat for Carl (and took this picture)! He loves it and loves the cowl too for that matter (also knit by my sister). He quickly puts both on whenever asked and generally doesn't leave home without it. This hasn't been an issue since it's been so cold, but now that spring is semi-here, I tend to forget when he has it and when he doesn't. With such sentimental value I feel sometimes as though it should set on a pedestal and not be worn... but what good would that do!

Earlier this winter, Carl dropped it in our local floral shop and after another stop and running home, we realized it was missing. AHH! Thankfully it's not a big shop and the hat is quite memorable on this smiley young boy, that when I called, the girl quickly checked and saw the hat on the floor. We returned to pick it up and I gave Carl a friendly reminder to hold onto his belongings.

This brings us to today - strike number two. After a lovely day spent with my mom at the flower show, lunch, and a little shopping, we returned home and continued our day. When we decided to go back outside to play a little before dinner, again I realized there was no hat. I called my mom and it was not left in her car, which meant it was left where we had been shopping, a good 40 minutes away. UGH! I tried calling the store, but their recommendation was to call back in the morning, because "it's a big store and we don't usually sweep through the store until after closing." Well a lot of good that call did. I wasn't going to wait, so instead of playing we packed back in the car to the store.

Upon arrival I asked Carl where he left his hat. He told me, "in there!" Well good, that's where we are headed! I searched every place the kids rushed into or by or stopped to look. As we approached the very back of the store, in the far corner, blending perfectly into the concrete floor, was the hat. WHEW! I could not believe it. Carl and I had a deep heart to heart right there in the store, to which he apologized to me. What a sweetie! We headed home with still enough time to play before dinner.

I was ready to give up, deeply saddened by it's loss, but really what can you do? Things happen, little boys happen! We talk about responsibility with our toys and belongings, but again... he's 2.5!!

Here's hoping that strike number three never strikes!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Glad it's back safe and sound. Ps. If ever you should wash them: air dry!! L's red hat found its way into the dryer and now is only big enough for an infant. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete