Had it not been for the 2.5 inches of rain the night before, as well as the abundance of rain at the beginning of July, we would have surely been in the creek for a second go at our duck races. However, once I stepped in the creek to test the levels, I knew there wouldn't be a way to make it work; the current was just to strong, especially once it caught your torso. Had you wanted to put in your inner tube, throw yourself in, and start racing that way, it might have worked... but not for our precious three inch plastic ducks!
We needed to quickly move to Plan B as people were arriving shortly. Jon, being quick on his feet, thought we should get some plastic and race down our backyard slope. With a little improvising, soap, and water, we had our duck race!
We had bubbles, a small parachute, and face painting for added activities at the party. I was prepared for an indoor party as well, thinking we may have more rain, but it stayed mostly sunny and beautiful. Inside I had a small train scavenger hunt, a Carl picture slideshow running, and a bunch of train books that we got from the library that week scattered on end tables. I hand cut a banner that said Happy Birthday Carl but never got a picture of that... It was also trains!!
As you can see, I was trying to help wet down the plastic and spread out the soap to help with the slippery factor. It was slippery. I believe I stayed on my feet the entire way down!
Did I mention we used soap?! Yes the ducks needed to be hosed down after the races. Soap was everywhere!
Uncle Jeff got off easy this year and didn't have to brave the creek. Like I said, creek levels were just too high. I'm sure he would have done it anyway for his fabulous nephew!
Our mid-range age group winners. The duck that got Gold in this picture won it all with a final race between all three gold medalists! He was pretty excited!
After the races we moved onto food and opening gifts. Carl was very thankful for all of his friends being at his party, and for the loving gifts he received.
Carl opened one gift from his Uncle Dave and Aunt Betsy pretty early on. It was a cool matchbox truck and a snoopy jr. ranger t-shirt. He loves both! I asked Carl to go say thank you and he also asked Uncle Dave to open the truck. The awesome Uncle Dave opened it! So after that, Carl decided that every other gift he just needed to bring to Uncle Dave and he would open it for him. It was really cute!
One gift item I thought Carl would enjoy was a bubble lawn mower. My sister had one, and C just never wanted to leave it. Well, he got one for his birthday and it's a good thing he opened it last. There was no stopping him. All of his friends and cousins were trying to check it out, but he carried on mowing the back yard, just as daddy does!
Lastly, the cake! Did I mention it was a train themed party. I was thrilled with how it turned out. I had a chocolate cake and yellow cake in there, both delicious and everything gluten free: cookie wheels, animal graham crackers, and coal chocolate chips. He turned two... choo, choo!!
Carl liked it too but did not want to touch the frosting. Silly boy! Happy Birthday Carl. We love you very much!
P.S. He also was wearing a special choo choo train shirt. He couldn't wait to put it on!


No comments:
Post a Comment