Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hawaii - Our Flight(s) Home

I think the short nap helped Carl out. We made it through security quickly and quietly! AND they were given TSA Junior Officer stickers - watch out world! After we found our gate, all Carl wanted to do was walk (what I really mean here is run) around. He wanted nothing to do with sitting still. And in all actuality  it wasn't a bad thing since he was going to have to sit still on the plane. Notice the blurry picture of him... 


We were all a bit tired but waited patiently for the plane. While we waited there was a family also waiting, a mom, two boys and a girl. They were having fun watching Brianna and Carl move about in their pjs. Not sure where their Dad was coming in from, but they welcomed him with such smiles, laughter and tears. It was very sweet! They wished us a safe flight.


We got ourselves situated and I tried reiterating to the kids that it was time to sleep. Again, they did SO well on the plane. Kids are amazing. Besides one meltdown from Brianna about 1.5 hours from landing, they slept or were quite the whole way. I got up at meltdown point with Brianna, laid Carl on the seat (thankfully, he stayed sleeping), and walked with her in the aisle. A stewardess came by and offered B some water, much appreciated. She calmed down quickly and we sat in an empty seat to watch a little in flight movie. We didn't get very far because it was almost time to land. P.S. I didn't really sleep. I tried, but no such luck for mommy. There is the proof, "Infant in Arms". Carl felt so much more than an infant, thus the constant shifting to get comfortable, which also meant no sleep.


We arrived ahead of schedule - 6:50 am San Francisco time (3:50 am our internal Hawaii time and 8:50 in MN). It felt early! I unpacked a few snacks for the kids and my dad and mom got some coffee and me some tea.


Now this is where it got interesting! Our last flight home our tickets were two in front, two in back. All the other flights were three across and one behind/front - which was great because then my mom and I could sit three across with the two kids. I wasn't sure how I would make it the last, pivotal  flight by myself in two seats with two cranky kids, with a possible stranger next to us. Thankfully, we were able to switch and get the third seat and all was well. I had to make sure I was up at the podium when he "became available" because I didn't want to take a chance on that extra seat! They did great the last flight and we were ALL excited to be back in MN awaiting Daddy to pick us up. I wish, I wish, I wish I could have gotten Brianna's expression on video when Jon got out of the car. No one every told me to be ready with my video camera! She said (in a very expressive, very enthusiastic, very loving little 2.5 year old girl voice), "DADDY, Daddy, Daddy!" Aw, priceless. 

We dropped off my parents and headed home for an uneventful afternoon. I unpacked and did laundry. Our next door neighbors were having a farewell party for our other neighbors who finally sold their house. We decided to go and everyone was amazed we came, maybe more so that I wasn't sleeping! We ended up inviting them over to see the remodel project too. They didn't stay long, but were thankful to see the updated version of our house. 

All in all, it was an amazing adventure. I know I've said it before, but we were blessed to have been able to go and visit my sister in Hawaii. It hit me pretty hard that Sunday, but thanks to the Lord for keeping a close eye on her being so far away. We love you Laura, John, Danya, and Katriel! Can't wait to see you again!

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading about your Hawaii trip! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete