Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Winter Fall

During our adventure on the Centennial Trail, we hit a small snag - or rather a steep cliff. This cliff was marked with a triangle caution sign on our interactive map, leading us to believe there might be a steep cliff ahead. Then when we actually reached the cliff, there was a posted sign, providing even more evidence that we should be careful. 

Well, this should not be marked with an ordinary caution sign. This should have been a huge sign, indicating the proper steps to make the decent. It was a pretty rocky trek up to this point but we kept our snowshoes on for  the added traction. However, when we reached the cliff that was more like a slide, we both removed our snowshoes and tried taking it slow. I had snow pants on so I literally slide down on my butt the whole way. There was really no slowing down once I got going. Then when I looked back it was even more slick because I brushed what little snow there was, off. Now it was Jon's turn...

Jon did not have snow pants on and was a little more cautious about going on his butt because he didn't want to get them wet and dirty. It was cold and windy so the wet factor would have been an issue. He slowly shifted his snowshoes from one hand to the next, then the next thing I see is him off balance and starting to topple over the side of the cliff!!! 


Thankfully a large branch stopped his tumbling. Seriously, I wasn't sure what I could have done to stop him. I started maneuvering through the brush over his direction, hoping not to slip myself, but he had already stopped and was starting to shake it off. Unfortunately, his snowshoes were still at the top of the hill so I had to go get them, but fortunately he let them go so the sharp metal didn't do any more damage. It was interesting shimmying back up the slippery slope to retrieve them. We were also grateful the camera wasn't damage in the fall, as it was in his pocket! The picture is of the cliff with me by the snowshoes, basically where he started. It was a good distance.

I couldn't stop laughing, which I felt horrible for. It wasn't for making fun at the fall, but because it made me nervous as to what I would have done if he was more seriously injured. I know I could have helped him, but am grateful for God looking out for us! It makes for fun memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment